“We live in a wonderful world that is full of beauty, charm and adventure. There is no end to the adventures we can have if only we seek them with our eyes open.” - Jawaharal Nehru

Monday, February 13, 2012


This past weekend Nick and I went to Killington, VT for skiing. We did this trip last year with the NYU Adventures Club. We decided to go again since this would be the only time this year we would be able to ski.

Lets be honest, it hasn't been the snowiest winter this season. Not that I'm complaining... but you need snow to ski. Lucky for everyone the ski resorts are well prepared for this sort of thing. I was made aware that they can make their own snow. So ski trip is a go!

We met down at NYU Friday night to board the bus. Now, last year the bus ride was a little painful. It took us 2 hours just go get out of the city. I was hoping for a better start this year. Surprisingly, we did make really good time. The downside? Well, there was a lot more loud, obnoxious, wasted students this time. Now, don't get me wrong... I am all for having a good time. But this was just over the top. There was this one girl in particular who was screaming the whole time... her voice was like nails on a chalkboard. She was screaming profanities (I simply cannot write what she said... it's that bad). By the time we pulled into the condo I wanted to kill her. Kill.Her.

It was 1am by the time we finally laid our heads down on the bed. We had to wake up at 8am the next morning to start skiing. 8am came very quickly! It was a really nice day outside. The weather could not have been better. We picked up our equipment and hit the slopes.

The only downside... since it hasn't really snowed the conditions were more icy than last year. The ice scared me a little... it made it more difficult and you went faster. I was practically wedging the whole time! We really only did "greens"... I wasn't comfortable with anything harder than that. It was a great day of skiing and my muscles were so sore once we finished.

After skiing we headed to the hot tub for a little while. That helped with the sore muscles. Later a few of us headed out to dinner at a local restaurant. The food was nice... they had an all you can eat bread, salad, and soup bar! After dinner we went to the local bar, Pickel Barrel, and hung out for a bit. We didn't stay too long. I was exhausted and we had another early morning.

Sunday was a very different day from Saturday. A cold front came through Saturday night and plummeted the temperatures. I woke up to my weather-bug telling me it was 1 degrees outside with a actual feel of below 14!

I only did a few slopes and had to come in. I felt like every part of my body was frozen. It was miserable. I sat in the lodge and had a very delicious hot chocolate. Nick did a few more runs and then came in. At that point I decided I was much more a warmer climate kind of girl. Put me anywhere with a warmer climate and that's my kind of vacation!

The bus headed back around 3pm and we actually made really good time. We arrived back in the city at 8pm and Nick and I were in our apartment at 8:30. I can't tell you how glad we were to be back home. We showered and watched some of the Grammy Awards before we completely passed out!

No comments:

Post a Comment