“We live in a wonderful world that is full of beauty, charm and adventure. There is no end to the adventures we can have if only we seek them with our eyes open.” - Jawaharal Nehru

Sunday, August 8, 2010

Change Is Hard....

I think I have learned something new about myself - I am a creature of habit. Not a big fan of change at all. Change brings on emotions that I really don't want to deal with. And it brings a lot of stress. Stress - not a big fan of that either.

Our last few days in Dallas have been great. We have been able to spend time with our family, friends, and load up on some good Tex-Mex food... Pappasitos, OTB, La Hacienda Ranch, Javiers. Yum!

It's going to be hard to leave behind everything that we have known since we were children. Dallas/Coppell is home for us. It's a lot of the same feelings we, or maybe just I, had when it was time to move away for college. Everything from the nerves, to will I like it, can I do this on my own, etc. But magnify that times ten for me - plus we aren't going to be just a 5 hour drive away. It's just a little farther from New York City to Dallas.

Nick is pumped and he should be. This is a HUGE accomplishment for him and I am so proud of him. He worked really hard for this and deserves everything that is about to happen for him and for us. For me, I'm a little more nervous/scared. It's a quite the change from what we are use to. Bigger city, more people, just a complete different way of living.

What I will miss the most (I'm sure Nick would agree with most of this)....

Most of all - family. Family is a huge part of our life and we love spending time with them. Only being 10-30 minutes down the road we are able to see them whenever we want. It's especially hard with me having a 10 year old brother. Nick and I both love watching all his sporting events and school activities. We have really been able to see him grow up! It's hard to think that we won't be there for that anymore. But, we have now invested in Skyp (I know, it's been around for a while) and that will be a great way to keep in touch. I will also have to increase my minutes. I just might be on the phone a lot more (probably giving mom a play by play of everything that happened that day)!

I am going to miss the wonderful friendships we have made over the years - both personal and professional. Our friends are some amazing people and we love them dearly. It's the kind of friendships that you know will survive the distance of being apart. The kind that you make an effort to stay in touch with. And we plan to see all of you in New York - is a requirement in our friendship now that you visit!!

I will most definitley miss my car. Not sure if Nick will miss this or not. I loved my car. It was just perfect - my Honda Accord. Perfect from the leather seats, seat warmers, satellite radio, etc. Loved it! And I like to drive. I like being able to get in my car whenever I want and go where I want.

There really are too many things to list - how do you create a list of everything that you have known and will miss over 20 years. It's a lot.

But what I do know, or hope for.... New York City will offer a new adventure for us. With everything we are going to miss there will be something new for us to experience. A new routine - a new grocery store, finding our favorite restaurants, cutest shopping stores, our favorite hangout area, knowing the inside scoop of the city (as seen through the eyes of someone living there).

I can't think but of a few other cities that has the ability to offer so much. I am sure it is going to be a wonderful and lasting experience for us. A lot of new memories. The next phase of our life. I need to keep remembering all of that and focus on the positive. I sure it will be hard at first and somewhat sad and stressful. But I can only hope to find our routine and make New York City our home away from home.

No comments:

Post a Comment